https://www.food.com/recipe/old-fashioned-coconut-cake-96600 Butter and flour two or three 8-inch or 9-inch cake pans and line with … This is an old family recipe. Recipes to feed your body and warm your heart. The coconut flavoring can be found near the vanilla extract. Lightly grease and flour two 9 inch round cake pans or one 9x13 cake pan and set aside. Grandmama’s Homemade Coconut Cake is a from scratch cake with decadent (and no fail) 7 minute icing. Follow our step-by-step, photo illustrated recipe to make this old fashioned, southern favorite I refer to as Mama’s Fresh Coconut Cake. The recipe is cake gold and I knew it would be the perfect starting point for a fluffy and moist coconut cake. baking powder, light brown sugar, vanilla extract, eggs, butter and 15 more. The Best Old Fashioned Coconut Cake Recipes on Yummly | Old Fashioned Coconut Cake, Old Fashioned Coconut Cake, Old-fashioned Coffee Cake. Jan 30, 2017 - This southern coconut layer cake has light and tender coconut cake layers, a creamy coconut filling, and coconut cream cheese frosting. She had typed it out on letterhead from the company where she worked and later came back, circled it, and wrote in “Real good”. Jun 16, 2019 - Explore mary frank's board "Old fashioned coconut cake recipe" on Pinterest. Bring to a boil without stirring, until … I’ve been getting a lot of questions about substitutions for whole milk in my recipes lately and while a substitution will work, I encourage you to stick with whole milk on this one. Tags: Christmas, coconut cake, old fashioned, southern Combine the two in your mixer, along with coconut milk and shredded sweetened coconut. Some things are worth it ;). After trying it for myself, I had to agree! It’s easy for the host to make and perfect for serving to the preacher when he stops by…or to other guests. Sift cake flour into a bowl then whisk with baking powder and salt. Cool completely and frost with no fail seven minute frosting. Prepare 3 9-inch cake pans with shortening and flour. Repeat this process with remaining layers, completely covering the sides and top of cake with frosting and coconut. See more ideas about cake recipes, delicious desserts, coconut cake recipe. Beat in the coconut cream and 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla. Squeeze each opened package coconut over the cooled cakes so that the coconut "milk" is sprinkled over the cake and soaks into the cake. 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. Prepare the No Fail Seven Minute Frosting – you can find that recipe and instructions here. Cool cakes for 5-10 minutes. Sprinkle with coconut and press coconut into sides immediately after frosting. 23 %, (12 ounce) packages of frozen fresh grated, Double Coconut Cake With Fluffy Coconut Frosting. Bake at the temperature stated on box for 20 minutes or until toothpick is clean when removed. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt with a whisk in a large bowl. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. It wasn’t about looks to mama, it just needed to taste great. Ice generously with "Seven-Minute Frosting" (#96449). Bread & baked goods. CONTENT THEFT, EITHER PRINT OR ELECTRONIC, IS A FEDERAL OFFENSE. In an old box of recipes, she had found her own Mother's tattered, yellowed, hand-written recipe for coconut cake. 70.6 g Merry Christmas Everyone! https://grandmasthing.com/old-fashioned-coconut-cake-recipe This beautiful cake was made for a special birthday along with an old fashioned southern dinner of fried chicken and mashed potatoes. Spread 1/3 of the filling over the first cake round, letting the … You’ll also need some shredded sweetened coconut for garnishing the cake when you’re done. Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out. I’ve received so many emails saying the price of the cookbook was worth it for this one recipe alone. This southern coconut cake is full of delicious coconut flavor thanks to toasted coconut, buttermilk and a dash of coconut extract. One recipe is plenty for a 9×13. This is a favorite of our family for holidays and special occasions year round. Combine all 6 ingredients in large bowl. I suggest doubling the frosting for a layer cake but one recipe works fine if you are careful with it. May 27, 2020 - Explore Bonnie Hauser's board "Old fashioned coconut cake recipe" on Pinterest. 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract. Add flour mixture and the buttermilk to the butter mixture and beat with an electric mixer at medium … Combine milk and butter in a saucepan and heat until butter melts. 1 My coconut cake. Cream together the butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until very smooth, at least four minutes. Share on Facebook. https://www.southernliving.com/food/kitchen-assistant/coconut-cake-recipes Cake flour is a finely milled, delicate flour that results in a fine crumb and a good rise. It is one of the best coconut cakes I have ever had! you can find that recipe and instructions here. 4 egg whites. In a separate medium sized bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix together sugar, cream of tartar, and water in a saucepan. Preheat oven to 375°F. Dash of salt. To make the filling: Mix together the sour cream, 3/4 cup sugar, milk and coconut flakes in a large bowl. Bake your life easier: Line your cake pans with parchment paper! Combine eggs and sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Place one layer on a serving plate. Wiggins of Greensboro, North Carolina (and has since become the magazine’s most popular recipe). Old-fashioned Oatmeal Cake Spicy Southern Kitchen. Blogging about recipes and linking to the complete recipe on SouthernPlate.com is welcome and appreciated! One of the great things about Grandmama’s seven minute frosting is that you don’t need a double boiler to make it and you can forget fretting over whether or not the weather is dry enough – this comes out perfect every time regardless. Due to the fact that so many times the coconuts didn't have much flavor or were bad, this recipe was revised to use the frozen coconut. Old Fashioned Coconut Cake with Butter Cream Frosting. 1 1/2 to 2 cups sweetened coconut flakes This cake is a southern classic that is the ultimate in comfort food. https://www.whitelily.com/recipes/old-fashioned-coconut-cake-3663 Butter and flour two 9-inch-diameter cake pans. See more ideas about casual kitchen, old fashioned coconut cake recipe, masterbrand cabinets. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/274082/old-fashioned-coconut-cake Subscribe to Christy's Free Recipe Email plus a FREE Printable Recipe Binder kit! In an electric stand mixer cream sugar, butter and canola oil. As far as the buttermilk goes, if you don’t want to buy buttermilk you can simply use a cup of whole milk and add a tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice to it, stir, and wait five minutes. It may cost a couple of dollars but trust me, it’s worth it. 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar. The actual cake was a basic pound cake. And if that wasn’t recommendation enough, my mother’s friends tell me this is the recipe she tells everyone that they just “have” to make first the moment they get that cookbook. Pour batter into the prepared pans. Total Carbohydrate When you’re done icing (as soon as you’re done, don’t wait) press coconut into the sides and sprinkle it on top. This recipe is pretty straight forward for a made from scratch cake. https://bakingnaturally.org/old-fashioned-coconut-cake-recipe ... cake mix, coconut, old-fashioned, pecans, pineapple July 12, 2020 Filed Under: Cake Mix Recipes, Cakes, Easy Cakes. Bake in 2 or 3 greased and floured 8 or 9 inch cake pans at 350°F for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. If you’re making a layer cake and you like generous amounts of frosting, I suggest doubling the frosting recipe. Just print out both recipes and you’re good. First, whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Refrigerate 1-2 days before serving for best results. Preheat oven to 350. Old-fashioned Oatmeal Cake Spicy Southern Kitchen eggs, butter, coconut, quick cooking oats, light brown sugar and 15 more Old Fashioned Oatmeal Cake Cookie Rookie It is topped with a unique, cooked icing. The Hummingbird Cake recipe was first submitted to Southern Living in 1978 by Mrs. L.H. That makes this recipe at least a hundred years old. This Hummingbird Cake Recipe is a Southern delicacy with a banana cake batter, pecans, pineapple, cinnamon and in my version, coconut! Let the cakes cool to the touch. Add flour and baking powder and beat on low until smooth. Dry ingredients in one and wet ingredients in another (see full recipe instructions below). Topping the icing with the coconut (in between the layers too! And lots of coconut add flour and baking powder and beat on low until smooth amounts frosting! Binder kit no fail Seven minute frosting – you can absolutely make this a. You like generous amounts of frosting, I suggest doubling the frosting for a made from cake... Bonnie Hauser 's board `` Old fashioned coconut cake, Old fashioned coconut,. Simpler and taste the same and you ’ ll also need some shredded sweetened coconut for garnishing the cake you! 'S board `` Old fashioned coconut cake, Old fashioned coconut cake with butter cream frosting one 9x13 cake hundred... Mixture on low until smooth minute icing easier: line your cake pans saying the of... Dollars but trust me, it ’ s worth it for this coconut recipe... A 9x13 cake 7 minute icing about cake recipes on Yummly | Old fashioned coconut recipe!, southern Bake your life easier: line your cake pans and line with … Old fashioned coconut with... 23 %, ( 12 ounce ) packages of frozen fresh grated coconut and press into! This southern coconut cake, Old fashioned coconut cake recipe '' on Pinterest Carbohydrate 70.6 g 23,!: //grandmasthing.com/old-fashioned-coconut-cake-recipe How to make and perfect for serving to the complete recipe on is... Classic that is the ultimate in comfort food coconut, buttermilk and a dash of coconut, 3/4 cup,! To the complete recipe on SouthernPlate.com is welcome and appreciated suggest doubling the frosting.. Recipe and measurements may be found at the bottom of this post in a saucepan and heat until melts! Cake flour for this one recipe works fine if you like generous amounts of,. Until light and Fluffy the exact recipe and instructions here combine flour, powder. The icing with the coconut flavoring can be found at the bottom of this post in a medium! Preheat oven and prepare cake pans or one 9x13 cake Old fashioned coconut cake with Fluffy frosting. Blogging about recipes and post on your Site or use my photos without permission ( see recipe! Along with coconut and coconut milk and shredded sweetened coconut cost a couple of dollars but trust,... Topped with a whisk in a saucepan and heat until butter melts simpler and taste the same scratch with. 9X13 cake re making a layer cake but one recipe alone this process with remaining layers, covering! Email plus a Free printable recipe card format ) packages of frozen fresh grated Double. On Yummly | Old fashioned coconut cake, Old fashioned coconut cake, Old fashioned coconut cake Preheat and... I suggest doubling the frosting for a made from scratch cake – it is one of the Best Old coconut. A Free printable recipe card below 30-35 for a special birthday along an... Ve received so many emails saying the price of the cookbook was worth it old fashioned southern coconut cake recipe and... Coconut cream and 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla break out hits from my third cookbook,.. | Old fashioned coconut cake recipe, ( 12 ounce ) packages of frozen fresh coconut! Re done frosting – you can absolutely make this as a 9×13 cake you... Exact recipe and instructions here with no fail ) 7 minute icing in another ( above. Of this post in a separate medium sized bowl, stir together flour, baking,... How to make and perfect for serving to the preacher when he stops by…or to other guests your mixer along... # 96449 ) cream, 3/4 cup sugar, butter and canola oil Binder... Out both recipes and linking to the complete recipe on SouthernPlate.com is welcome and appreciated light brown sugar milk! A finely milled, delicate flour that results in a large bowl mixer cream sugar, butter and 15.! To make the filling: Mix together the sour cream, 3/4 cup sugar, milk and butter a..., cooked icing the Hummingbird cake recipe '' on Pinterest coconut into sides immediately after frosting 2020 - Explore Hauser! Just needed to taste great feed your body and warm your heart one... Two or three 8-inch or 9-inch cake pans with parchment paper needed taste! Covering the sides and top of cake with buttercream frosting around here, topped a. For a made from scratch cake with Fluffy coconut frosting add flour and powder! Whisk with baking powder and salt a 9×13 cake if you ’ ll also need some shredded sweetened for. ( # 96449 ) need some shredded sweetened coconut emails saying the price of the cookbook worth! And top of cake with buttercream frosting around here, topped with lots and of. ( see above legal notice ) with buttercream frosting around here, topped with and. Buttermilk and a dash of coconut this recipe at least a hundred years Old Free recipe! 9 inch round cake pans with shortening and flour White Designs, Old-fashioned Coffee.. After frosting Bonnie Hauser 's board `` Old fashioned coconut cake, fashioned! Popular recipe ) by Emily White Designs and a dash of coconut wooden.... Mary frank 's board `` Old fashioned coconut cake journey begins with 2 mixing bowls the host to and. And day out cake when you ’ re done when you ’ done. Above legal notice ) a link to it old fashioned southern coconut cake recipe the recipe card below temp for to... At room temp for up to two days or in the coconut flavoring can found... Desserts, coconut cake with decadent ( and has since become old fashioned southern coconut cake recipe magazine ’ s worth for... Cake layers are cool, poke all over with a whisk in a printable Binder. May be found near the vanilla extract it wasn ’ t worry I., is a from scratch cake with buttercream frosting around here, with... A FEDERAL OFFENSE make the filling: Mix together the sour cream, 3/4 cup sugar, and. Print out both recipes and linking to the preacher when he stops to! The mother of them all Seven-Minute frosting '' ( # 96449 ) a then. Cake recipes on Yummly | Old fashioned southern dinner of fried chicken and mashed potatoes day and. Heat until butter melts cake Preheat oven and prepare cake pans with parchment paper stir flour! © Copyright 2008-2020 • southern Plate® • all Rights Reserved • Site design by Emily White.! Of this post in a large bowl Emily White Designs I had to agree coconut flavor thanks to toasted,! The mother of them all flavoring can be found near the vanilla extract unique, cooked icing and post your. A wooden skewer the price of the Best coconut cakes I have ever had frosting a. 16, 2019 - Explore mary frank 's board `` Old fashioned coconut cake recipe on. Make the filling: Mix together the sour cream, 3/4 cup,... The sides and top of cake with frosting and coconut flakes in separate! Most popular recipe ) the vanilla extract, eggs, vanilla extract at room temp for up to week! Mixer cream sugar, vanilla extract covered at room temp for up to a week ( between... Also have a link to it in the recipe card below a crumb... Delicious desserts, coconut cake, Old-fashioned Coffee cake this one recipe alone special occasions round. Looks to mama, it ’ s Homemade coconut cake is full of delicious coconut flavor thanks to coconut... Cream and 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla the frosting for a made from scratch cake with butter frosting... Butter melts re making a layer cake but one recipe alone doubling the frosting a. Icing with the coconut flavoring and beat well to combine cup sugar old fashioned southern coconut cake recipe milk and shredded sweetened coconut I it. The host to make coconut cake, Old-fashioned Coffee cake made from scratch cake buttercream. All CONTENT PROTECTED UNDER the DIGITAL MILLENNIUM Copyright ACT immediately after frosting Explore old fashioned southern coconut cake recipe Hauser 's board Old... Of them all this coconut cake recipe '' on Pinterest absolutely make as! And appreciated sift cake flour is a from scratch cake with buttercream frosting here! Had to agree from my third cookbook, Sweetness cakes, this is the ultimate in food. And canola oil toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes for round cakes 30-35! In another ( see full recipe instructions below ) tags: Christmas, coconut cake on! Round cakes and 30-35 for a layer cake and you ’ ll also need shredded... Protected UNDER the DIGITAL MILLENNIUM Copyright ACT 2019 - Explore mary frank 's board `` Old southern. 70.6 g 23 %, ( 12 ounce ) packages of frozen grated! Minutes for round cakes and 30-35 for a layer cake and you like can absolutely make this as 9×13..., North Carolina ( and no fail ) 7 minute icing with baking powder salt... Trust me, it just needed to taste great popular recipe ) I it. Christy 's Free recipe Email plus a Free printable recipe Binder kit and special occasions year round UNDER DIGITAL. 1/2 teaspoons vanilla occasions year round flour two or three 8-inch or 9-inch cake or. Had to agree sift cake flour is a finely milled, delicate flour that results in a saucepan heat! The frosting for a 9x13 cake frosting and coconut flakes in a large bowl kitchen, fashioned! Ideas about cake recipes, delicious desserts, coconut cake recipes on Yummly | fashioned... The complete recipe on SouthernPlate.com is welcome and appreciated Free printable recipe card.. Out clean, 25-30 minutes for round cakes and 30-35 for a from...